Your baby is growing, and while their body is getting use to the outside world, babies can encounter different problems and gas problems is one of them. Babies are not used to our food, so mommies watch what your eating.
Infant Gas Relief Signs And Symptoms
Let’s talk about the first signs and symptoms your baby will show, when having gas pain.
- Crying while passing gas or right after, ( usually crying starts when a baby is unlikely to be hungry or sleepy)
- passing gas or belching
- Arching the back and crying
- Trying to lift the legs closer to the stomach
- Your babies stomach might look swollen or bloated
- Your baby is unhappy most the time
- Refuses to eat and/or sleeping worsen
What Causes Gas In Infants
Gas usually starts at early months of your babies life, and most babies stop having gas problems at 6 months. There are some ways to help avoid or make infant gassing not as often and painful for your baby.
Your baby can swallow air while breastfeeding or bottle feeding. The more air your baby swallows the more gas it will have.
Babies tend to swallow air all the time. The main cause of air swallowing is babbling a lot while eating.
By reducing the amount of air your baby swallows, will help you reduce your babies gas problem.
It’s hard to tell if your babies is crying because of colic or your baby is crying because of gas. It’s always better to soothe your baby as soon as he/she begins crying. While crying your baby can swallow air, which will lead to even more gassing.
Minor digestive problems can cause gas, babies digestive systems is getting used to our world. It’s common for babies to develop gas if you eat a different type of food.
If your baby has a lot of gas or it is looking sever, contact your pediatrician.
Constipation could also be the case of baby gassing.
The most common viruses that our adult bodies can pass without us even noticing, can cause your baby to have stomach problems like gas, vomiting, and diarrhea.
As soon as your notice your baby vomiting and refusing eating see a doctor.
How To Help Your Infant
You can help your baby by doing exercise, and giving gas relief drops.
- Pumping – pump your babies legs, raising them up to the tummy like in a squatting position.
- Bicycle – doing bicycle with your baby, by switching legs alternatively the way your would ride a real bike.
Do the exercise without hard pressure, and be gentle your baby is small and fragile. Don’t do the exercise right after your feed your baby, give at least 30 minutes for your babies food to settle in.
Gas Relief Drops
There is different kind of gas relief drops, contact your pediatrician if your are not sure in your choice in gas drops.
- Grape Water
- Camila colic and gas relief
- Hyland’s baby gas relief
- Little remedies gas relief
- Burp your baby twice after eating
- Give your baby tummy time
- Probiotic supplements (talk to your pediatric )
- Hold your baby vertically when burping
If your a breastfeeding mom your might want to avoid curtain fruits that make your baby gassy.
- Brussels Sprouts
Try avoiding these foods for a couple of weeks and see if it will help your little one.
Difference Between Colic And Gas
Colic and Gas which one is it?
Colic in a baby can have many causes not only the undeveloped digestive system. Over stimulation, and immature nerve system could also be a cause.
Colic make your baby cry a lot, hysterically. If your baby is crying around the same part of the day and for couple hours. Not less than three weeks in a row, your baby has Colic. Colic happens when a baby has hard time soothing itself.
Angels Gas Relief Problems
When Angel turned two weeks old, that’s when my gas problems started. Every day before falling asleep, I would massage his belly, and do all the exercise to help him release his gas.
Sometimes his grandma would come and rock him to sleep. While he was is in an upright position, and one of his legs is bent in the knee laying on her stomach. That was his favorite pose. As he was growing and was getting stronger, he was able to lift his legs and help himself out.
I used a lot of different gas relief drops, and the one that helped Angel the most was Camila, we tried Grape Water but it didn’t help us.
What gas relief drops helped your baby?
When To Get Concerned
There are times when your need to be concerned in your babies health, and visit your pediatric.
- Your little one stopped gaining weight
- Refuses to eat, or barely eats ( this could be a sign of digestive problems which need to be addressed as soon as possible)
- Your baby has problems going number 2
- Having an allergic reaction on new drops ( vomiting, rash, hives, swallow face, trouble breathing)
Take It Easy
Most commonly your baby is just passing gas, let it go and help as much you can. It will end soon, if you have any question always ask your pediatric, even if your think nothing is wrong addressing it won’t make it worse, but it will make your mind at ease.